lunes, 5 de abril de 2010

Second entry: My favourite place in Chile




The place in Chile that I like most, it's the city of Valdivia, It's located in the coast of the River's region, near 850km to the south of Santiasco.

Valdivia is a very beautiful city, where the wildness landscapes, the sport, the history and the good food (and beer!) are in one only place.

Valdivia was my home city too, at least until the beginning of the year 2007, when I moved too Santiago at the beginning of my military career as an Army cadet. Since that moment Valdivia has become a place of peace, rest, beauty and memories for me. My family has come to Santiago too, at late 2007, so now only my old friends and beloved people are there.

I first went to Valdivia when I was eleven more or less, my father was there because his job on a fishing fleet, and very soon he fell in love with the place. I went to Valdivia near three times per year, and like my father, I became impress with the marvelous landscape, and the historical places of this raining city.

Now I travel alone to my city, but there are some people that even with a long distance between us are very close to me, persons like my godmother and her daugthers that are like my second family, a very close friend of the highschool and her daughter, and a very very tall and inteligent girld called Violeta. They are my soul when I'm in Santiago, and are the best company when I'm there.

Normaly, I spend my time with those people, but I always try to go to the places that impress me the first time, places like the evergreen raining forests (and the valdivian jungle) the colony's museum, the german brewery, and specialy to me: the old spaniard forts on the bay in the coast.

Those forts were considerated the most heavily fortificated position in the whole new world in the age of conquerors. They were guarding the bay, protecting the city against pirate's raids (this place was one of the places that Sir Francis Drake, English privateer and Hero, evaded with more caution when he came to Chile in order of attack spaniards cities) and against the insurgent mapuche's marauders. Just when Chile became a independet country, and when all the others Spanish troops were defeated, the last bastion of the Spanish crown fell by the hand of a brilliant English Privateer and tactician: Lord Thomas Cochrane. Every summer the corral's fort made a representation of the epic battle twice per day, and not a single year I come back to santiago without having walked between the old walls, armory and cannon's battery, that told me the strong of the past as a lesson of humility, and wisdom against an overwhelming oponent or problem.



5 comentarios:

  1. YOU DO ME A TOUR IN VALDIVIA!!! =)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi David. I love Valdivia too. I have only been a couple of times but it has always been enjoyable. I especially like the fort on Mancera Island.
    Ps. Have you seen Violeta recently?

    ResponderEliminar
  3. yes!!! i really like the mountains, is my favorite place
    Valdivia is a beautiful city, I went last summer.

    bye!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hello, I travel to valdivia many years behind, it is a very pretty, very green, but very cold place.

    ResponderEliminar